Thursday, January 28, 2016

Straight Outta Compton Rated R? BUT WHY?


A movie that I watched recently besides Ride Along 2 lol was Straight out of Compton (director version). It is rated R. I think this movie got that rating because of the language, sex scene, drugs, and overall message. Yes that movie was a true story and tells us the story of Dr. Dre, Eazy E, and ICE Cube and how they became a group and what they stood for, but because of the way that it happened it is not a family friendly movie. This movie is a message in my eyes. it shows us that some of the things that happened then are still very well alive today. On the link below I went and read a couple of critics reviews on the movie just to see how they felt about such a movie. One that stuck out to me was the A Critical Movie  and something from his review that shocked me was how shocked he was on the language that was said in the movie and how it made it to the theaters with that kind of language (use of the N word and the F word). I feel like that mindset that he/she was in is the same mind set the panel had when they decided to Rate the movie. There are numerous reason I FEEL like this movie made it to the big screen but the reason pertaining to the topic would have to be (as discussed in class) only a limited audience was going to see the movie anyways. Do i feel like this movie is appropriate for a 8/9/10 year old? NO, BUT do I think it could have been PG 13? YES! but let me tell you why! Just like we discussed in class just like music, movies have a meaning as well. If they had of G rated the movie the overall message would not have been seen. To me watching the theater version and the directors cut version there was a difference. If pre-teens can listen to movies that have the N word or the F word seeing a movie with that same language TO ME is no different. Because of the society we live in and how BIG the media is there is no point in sugar coding the truth. I feel like that's whats wrong with society today everybody wants to sugarcoat the story. But hey that's just me. 

Link to IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1398426/


3 comments:

  1. I understand why they have rated it the way they did, but I also agree with you on this movie being a message, and you are so right about the kids learning curse words and even sexual content from other places other than movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I LOOOOVE this movie I saw it on opening day with my friends and it was packed. But I do understand were your coming from there are a lot of movies out there that will love to rush pass the meaning because it will offend a lot of people. I really don't understand why critics would say that they have to much use of the F and N words like really what did you expect? But I do understand why they got that rating R rating because some scenes might have been to much but like you said some teens are exposed already to that type of life already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the "Critical Critic" review you read. It begins: "I will say right now that I am no fan of “Gangsta Rap.” I am not an advocate of an art form that glorifies and promotes violence, profanity and the degradation of women, no matter how many of those things are an everyday part of the rappers’ lives. Using the bathroom is an everyday occurrence, as well, but I do not necessarily want to hear about it in a song."

    I like to know critics' backgrounds when they are reviewing films. If you hate rap, it's unlikely you'll rate Straight Outta Compton very highly!

    Good point about the inequivalence of music and film. But of course, the counter-argument is that when you listen to music, it's only sound. You don't actually see anyone being violent or performing sexual acts or whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete